Giving Birth Amid a Global Pandemic




This afternoon, our President announced that the federal guidelines for social distancing are being extended through the end of April.  With a baby on the way, due at the end of May but with the expectation that he is probably going to be ready a little bit early, it is becoming more and more likely that we will be bringing him into this world amid the craziness that is our reality right now.  Although it's something I've been thinking about for the last several weeks, today it seems to have really hit me.

In our state, we were issued a "Stay at Home" order last week that is currently in effect until April 8th, but after today's presidential briefing I won't be surprised if that gets extended.  I am fortunate that I mostly work from home anyways, and can continue to do so full time for the time being.  But we have had questions of whether or not our crews can continue to work out in the field.  If they can no longer work, will there continue to be work for me to do on the office-end of things?  My husband - we aren't sure whether there will be work for him to do this coming week, or whether his company is going to continue to pay his division if there is no work to be done.

I see both the federal and state governments trying to do what they can to support those affected by the current crisis, both physically and financially.  But in many cases that support may be slow-coming.  And finances are really only one small concern with having a new baby right now.

I've already had pre-planned routine prenatal appointments cancelled to lower the risk of exposure by coming to the clinic.  Will there be more?

Then there are all of the things that lead up to having a baby that we are going to miss out on.  Ask anyone who knows me well and they will tell you I am an avid Target fan.  For months I've been talking with a friend who does photography about having a maternity photography session at Target.  It doesn't look like that will probably get to happen, though, as it is not considered an "essential errand".  Even regular maternity photos will be a long shot - as most of the places I think we could potentially do them are currently closed.  The only physical memories we will get of this pregnancy are those photos we have taken at home.

I would have loved to be able to celebrate this sweet boy with my friends and family.  But with no group gatherings, a baby shower is also out of the question.

Over the last week, I've been monitoring our chosen hospital's website for any changes in their visitor policy.  Currently, the hospital as a whole is not allowing visitors - however there is an exception for the maternity ward.  Expectant mothers and their babies are allowed a single designated visitor during their stay.  That person must be evaluated upon admittance to be sure they are not sick, and may not switch out with another individual during their stay.  So if I were to go into labor tomorrow, my husband could be there with me.  But what if things change between now and whenever little mister decides he is ready?  Or what if my husband is sick?  What if the only support we get is that of the doctors and nurses?

As it is, our 4 year old will likely not be able to meet her little brother until we bring him home - and even that we will have to be cautious about.  Same with the rest of our family.  I have probably spent hours looking at photos online of siblings meeting their new babies at the hospital, and thinking about a gift from baby brother to sister.  Not that those things can't still happen at home, but it won't be the same, it won't be the way I imagined them.

Things don't always work out the way we expect them to, especially when it comes to babies.  I know that, especially after an unexpected c-section with my daughter.  I know that the important thing is that we do everything we can to bring a health boy into this world, and keep him healthy once he is here.  How do we even begin to do that in this current environment?

It is hard not to be a little selfish and disappointed thinking about all the ways this global health crisis is going to affect the remainder of this pregnancy and the birth of our son.  This isn't the way that things were supposed to be, but t  he best way to get through it is to continue to be diligent in doing everything we can to keep ourselves and our household healthy, and if we can do that - remember how fortunate we are compared to many others that are suffering today.

Soon I will have that baby boy to hold in my arms, and a whole new set of worries will likely set in.  In the meantime, I will continue to nestle in at home with my little family, receive daily  Amazon deliveries to our front door for all the things I think of that we still need to prepare for this new addition, stay as busy as possible with work while also trying to keep my daughter from boredom, and be grateful that we are not sick - hopeful that this will all be worth it in the end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom Knows Best

Making Time and Letting Go